We often come across a drain blockage where who called has not idea about what caused it. Let’s be honest: our household drains act as magic portals to get rid of unwanted liquid (or solid things in some cases). Once we’ve poured something down the sink or toilet, we rarely think of it again. But have you ever stopped to think about where all that water goes once it leaves your sight? And what untold damage you may be causing to your drains?
Here is the list of the 5 worst items you could pour down your drain!
- Grease: It can be tempting to just wash all that oil from the frying pan down the drain, but greases solidify they can clog pipes and damage your plumbing and drainage systems! Avoid pouring cooked/melted fat from meat down your drain.
- Oils: Avoid disposing of cooking oil, olive oil and salad dressing. When the oil mixes with water further down your drain it sticks to the ceiling of your pipes causing stalactite type structures to form, which will eventually cause a drain blockage!
- Coffee Grounds: Nothing causes more drain blockages and clogged pipes than coffee grounds and grease. Mixed together they make a sludge type blockage.
- Paper towels: Unlike toilet paper (which is designed to be broken down easily), paper towels are made of absorbent paper. This means that with water, instead of breaking down they will expand and form a drain blockage.
- Food: Such as rice, pasta, flour, etc… When they are washed down the drain they start to swell when mixed water further own your drain. Save yourself the trouble in the future and dispose of your leftovers correctly!
In Drain Doctor we strongly believe that the best way to keep your drains in good shape is prevention! However if you need a CCTV drain survey or any other of our services don’t hesitate to get in touch!